Alright, confession time : not all females are born neat-freak. I’m definitely not -.-, I’m a clutterer by nature. And yes, it can be quite embarassing. The main problem is that after I took out things, I never put them back in their original place, until the urge to clean up the house arrives and I ended up having to tidy up everything, and soon … I will start cluttering again. When I was younger, I prohibited everyone including my mum, who tried to tidy up my room. The reason was simple, I thought that I preferred to have all my books around the floor so I can study easily. So whenever someone tried to put my books in proper stacks, I threw a tantrum and threatened them that my academic performance would dwindle if they insisted on doing so ( in my family, academic performance is extremely important). Afterwards, naturally nobody dared to stop me from cluttering 🙂
Anyway, I wondered if I could change this bad habit. I came across and interesting blog article : “Develop clean house habits one at a time“. I know I will not be Martha Stewart overnight – nor would I want to be a neat freak anyway , since I’m proud that I have more important stuffs to do than this – but, I could try some of the tips there.
I’ll try each of these new ‘habits’ over a two-weeks period, hopefully I can permanently acquire some of them ^^.
- hang your clothes up or put them in hamper immediately
- put all papers (including school papers, post-in notes, bills, etc) in one in basket, and process at the end of each day
- keep you sink clean and shiny (wash dishes immediately, clean sink after)
- pick up before you go to bed and before you leave the house
- empty your trash daily
- 15 minutes decluttering sessions each day
- clean your shower, toilet and bathroom sink after each use (only takes a couple minutes!)
- have a place for everything, and put everything in its place immediately
- make your bed each morning
- keep flat surfaces (counters, tables, desks) clear of clutter
- put away your stuff as soon as you get home
Well , the good news is : I have always maintain a clean sink, and I empty my trash daily (ok, almost daily). Go me !